Opening an Australian Bank Account

You can open an account online up to three months before you move, then transfer money across so it’s waiting when you get here.

You can also open an account online after you arrive or by visiting any CommBank branch.

Whichever option you choose, you’ll need to bring some documents to the branch when you first visit, to formally prove your identity. We recommend you bring along original copies of your:

  • Current passport (original document required)
  • Tax Identification Number (TIN) for each country of foreign tax residency
  • Student ID or letter of enrollment (students only)

If any of your documents are in a foreign language you’ll need to get them translated into English by a professional translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI), or an equivalent accreditation.